Nathan has more than twenty years of Information Technology and Communications Security experience. Following his honorable discharge from the U.S. Army, Nathan’s civilian career engagements have included Network Administrator, Systems Administrator, Senior Systems Administrator, Security Administrator, and Director of Information Technology delivering Information and Communications Security support to manufacturing facilities, airlines, healthcare facilities, and financial institutions.
Nathan’s passion for information technology began with a childhood interest in computer programming. In pursuit of that passion, Nathan was in the first graduating class of the U.S. Army’s Microwave Systems Operators Course at the U.S. Army Signal Center at Fort Gordon, Georgia. As a result of his military occupational specialty, Communications Technical Controller and Microwave Systems Operator, Nathan gained extensive experience maintaining communications systems and operating communication security (COMSEC- cryptographic) equipment while serving with the Army’s Southern Command. This position allowed Nathan the unique opportunity to be on the on the leading edge of the U.S. Army’s transition from analog to digital communications. As a result, his understanding of data communications at its most fundamental level has been invaluable in his professional pursuit of Information and Communications Technology risk management.
Nathan is a regular attendee and presenter at technology and security conferences around the United States, especially DEF CON in Las Vegas, Nevada and DerbyCon in Louisville, Kentucky. Additionally, Nathan is active in the DC404 DEF CON group and is the founder and point of contact for the DC770 DEF CON group.
• Microsoft client / workstation from MS-DOS 2.x through Windows 10
• Microsoft server from Windows NT 3.5Server through Windows Server 2016
• Mac OSX
• Linux (Red Hat / CentOS, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Backtrack, Kali, Raspian)
• VPN (site-to-site, user-to-site)
• Firewalls – SonicWALL, Watchguard, FortiNET
• Multiple security related applications / application suites including (but not limited to)
o Metasploit, PowerShell Empire, Nmap, Burp, OWASP ZAP, Nikto, WPScan, Nessus, Nexpose, Hydra, SQL Map, Cain and Able, Wireshark, Kismet, Snort, tcpdump, etc.
Training & Certifications
• Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH)
• CheckPoint Certified Security Administrator (CCSA)
• DeVry Telecommunications Management
• CompTIA A+ Certification
• US Army Signal Center, Microwave Systems Operator – Maintainer, Telecommunications